House of the 7 Lazy Brothers
House of the 7 Lazy Brothers (“Haus der 7 Faulen”), 1924-27, was constructed as HAG House by Eduard Scotland and Alfred Runge. Until its partial destruction in 1944, it had been the advertising headquarters for Kaffee HAG and the main office of the German Work Federation, Deutscher Werkbund.
After reconstruction in 1954, the house was renamed after Bremen’s fabled seven lazy brothers who would solve poblems by using their brains instead of their brawn - only to find themselves scolded by their neighbours for being lazy because their resourceful way of doing things meant they did not have to do any physical labour! Here they are depicted by Aloys Röhr as large stone figures embellishing and buttressing the gable that faces the marketplace, in homage to the admirable and tireless imagination of Ludwig Roselius.